Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    tar

Has any one ever used Mangia Macchia oil stain remover. I used it for the first time yesterday. I read the spec sheet on this material and every thing about it doesn’t seem safe for the installer and the homeowner. When I used mangia the oder is horrible, with in minutes I had a major headache for the rest of the day and into the evening. Has anyone else had a simular effect or is it just me.

Thanks,

Travis 

Posted By tar on 17 Dec 2010 03:22 PM

Has any one ever used Mangia Macchia oil stain remover. I used it for the first time yesterday. I read the spec sheet on this material and every thing about it doesn’t seem safe for the installer and the homeowner. When I used mangia the oder is horrible, with in minutes I had a major headache for the rest of the day and into the evening. Has anyone else had a simular effect or is it just me.

Thanks,

Travis 

Travis:

Welcome to the fabnet.

To answer your question, I have never used Mangia Macchia oil stain remover. You said you read the “spec sheet” and I’m assuming you meant the Material Safety Data Sheet. If you did read the MSDS you were warned five times:

#3 …acute exposure to it and poses a serious health threat if inhaled …

4. Inhalation: Ventilate the premises. The patient is to be removed immediately from the contaminated premises to rest in a well ventilated area. OBTAIN MEDICAL ATTENTION.

6. Measures for personal safety: Use a mask, gloves and protective clothing.

8. Precautionary measures: Give adequate ventilation to the premises where the product is stored and/or handled. Respiratory protection: Use adequate protective respiratory equipment, e.g. CEN/FFP-2(S) or CEN/FFP-3(S). Note: FFP means Full Face Piece

15. R20/22 Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed.

Apparently you failed to ventilate the premises, obtain medical attention or use a full face mask as you were instructed.

Joe

KCWOOD

Posted By Kowboy on 18 Dec 2010 09:57 AM

Posted By tar on 17 Dec 2010 03:22 PM

Thanks,

Travis 

Travis:

Welcome to the fabnet.

To answer your question, I have never used Mangia Macchia oil stain remover. You said you read the “spec sheet” and I’m assuming you meant the Material Safety Data Sheet. If you did read the MSDS you were warned five times:

#3 …acute exposure to it and poses a serious health threat if inhaled …

4. Inhalation: Ventilate the premises. The patient is to be removed immediately from the contaminated premises to rest in a well ventilated area. OBTAIN MEDICAL ATTENTION.

6. Measures for personal safety: Use a mask, gloves and protective clothing.

8. Precautionary measures: Give adequate ventilation to the premises where the product is stored and/or handled. Respiratory protection: Use adequate protective respiratory equipment, e.g. CEN/FFP-2(S) or CEN/FFP-3(S). Note: FFP means Full Face Piece

15. R20/22 Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed.

Apparently you failed to ventilate the premises, obtain medical attention or use a full face mask as you were instructed.

Joe

Tar… welcome to the Fabnet.  The MSDS for this FabNet warns the user, any post can be answered in such a manner you will feel you have been walking in the woods and feel a thorn in your side… 

Again welcome to the FabNet!

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 18 Dec 2010 04:59 PM
    Tar… welcome to the Fabnet.  The MSDS for this FabNet warns the user, any post can be answered in such a manner you will feel you have been walking in the woods and feel a thorn in your side… 

Again welcome to the FabNet!

Kelsey:

After reading your post I realize how thoughtless I’ve been. Chemical burns in lungs will eventually heal, but a concise reply preventing same lives in cyberland forever. Shame on me.

Thornilly,

Joe

tar

Thanks everybody for the kind words of advice. Yes I read the MSDS sheet before I used the material, wearing the mask and the haz- mat suit for this procedure to remove an oil stain. When its 5 degrees out side and tell the home owner to keep there window open until the smell is gone, goes over pretty well in the winter.

Thanks

Travis

Travis:

I had no idea this stuff was this nasty until your post. Perhaps us northern guys will have to make customers wait until springtime to get their stains removed.
    We all learned from this one.

Thanks,

Joe

tar

Joe,

Yeah I thought about that but its the holidays, remember it needs to be perfect for the family to see the new kitchen. Well I have not heard from the homeowner yet , so either the stain is removed or something happened to her from the smell.

Thanks,

Travis

Dani Homrich

Let’s hope the stain was removed and not the smell. I read the MSDS and that stuff is differently not something to use in a customers home in this day and age it could cost much more than a free countertop.

CATommy113

Has anybody done a side by side comparison?

A peer of mine has had an unopened bottle for “the tough one” on the truck for years, but so far have had great success with their primary baby powder & acetone poultice.

http://www.rockyourhome.com/

CA Tommy113:

Welcome to the fabnet. While I didn’t find anything related to the topic on your link, I did find the “Granite Myths” section interesting and erroneous.

1. Granite will stain. I’ve heard of calls from customers with stains from olive oil and red wine, common to most kitchens. The comparison to solid surface is ludicris. Solid surface, as in Corian, is nearly inert. In the seventeen years I’ve been in the surfacing business, I’ve NEVER run into a Corian “stain” that I couldn’t easily remove. I will grant that the resinating of tops, sucking plastic into granite pores if you will, and the use of sealers will significantly reduce granite staining, but to claim that granite won’t stain is non-factual.

Personally, I’ve been called to remove “green bloom” from granite after another installer used a CA glue excellerant without masking. That is a granite stain.

2. The gas that you mean to describe is “Radon”, not “Rado”. While I have my doubts as to whether or not there is sufficient radon in granite countertops to make a measurable safety concern, I’m glad to see that you cite the trade association Marble Institute of America as an authoritave source on the subject as I’m going to use them to make my next point.

3. Heat will crack granite. I suggest you spend some time on the archives of http://www.stoneadvice where you will find fabricators with documentation of granite cracking under the heatlamps used in restaurants and in homes from the heat of dishwashers. These guys aren’t making this stuff up.

Furthermore, the Marble Institute of America recommends the use of trivets to protect natural stone from heat from pans and appliances:

“General Care Care and Precautions

Use coasters under all glasses, particularly those containing alcohol or citrus juices. Many common foods and drinks contain acids that will etch or dull the surface of many stones. Do not place hot items directly on the stone surface. Use trivets or mats under hot dishes and placemats under china, ceramics, silver or other objects that can scratch the surface.”

If we are going to accept the MIA as an authority on radon in stone, we must accept them as an authority on the use of stone as well.

4. As far as granite and bacteria, granite can earn a National Sanitation Foundation 51 rating, but there is some paperwork involved. Solid surfaces, including quartz, are all NSF 51 certified. The MIA “study” that found granite as sanitary as six other countertops conveniently left solid surface and engineered stone off their list.

I would love to compete against guys who don’t have their facts, especially when they are trying to myth-bust.

Joe

P.S.:

Granite will not “loose” its shine, nor will it “lose” its shine.

tar

Joe,

Well done. I have been in the stone buisness for 12 years and basically what you have mentioned above is very correct. In the last six months our company has had to explain to homeowners that heat and granite dont mix. Two homeowners had the old electric skillet on for hours (with the black 2″ feet ) and a crack appeared directly underneath wear the skillet was. I love homeowners that believe everything on the internet.

Travis

Good God, do you guys have nothing better to do with your time. I’ve never had a cracked counter top in 8 years in the biz (we have 1,000’s out there). Of course we only sell and install stone that we know will stand up.

Joe, you can have all the facts in the world and still not compete against me. If you were in my market I would squash you like a roach. Of course, you don’t have a shop, don’t really sell granite, don’t have any employees and you are simply not a player in any sense of the word. Your purpose is to initiate arguments, not for the betterment of the industry but in a futile attempt to draw attention to yourself and raise your self esteem. I’m sure you read and re-read all of your posts.

BTW Joe, what does your post have anything to do with stain remover?

Posted By Steven Nenzel on 31 Dec 2010 06:43 PM
    Good God, do you guys have nothing better to do with your time. I’ve never had a cracked counter top in 8 years in the biz (we have 1,000’s out there). Of course we only sell and install stone that we know will stand up.

Joe, you can have all the facts in the world and still not compete against me. If you were in my market I would squash you like a roach. Of course, you don’t have a shop, don’t really sell granite, don’t have any employees and you are simply not a player in any sense of the word. Your purpose is to initiate arguments, not for the betterment of the industry but in a futile attempt to draw attention to yourself and raise your self esteem. I’m sure you read and re-read all of your posts.

BTW Joe, what does your post have anything to do with stain remover?

Steve:

Again, welcome to the fabnet.

Generally, we try to keep our arguments relevant here and not personal. The fact that I don’t have a shop (I do, you don’t know what you’re talking about) don’t sell granite (I have, again you know not of what you speak) and I have had employees. Of course, all these things are completely unrelated logically as to whether or not granite will or will not stain as is the subject of this thread.

Steve, were I to compete against you, you would be beaten like an unwanted stepchild. You would have potential customers coming back and saying “Steve, Kowboy just showed me where heat lamps and diswashers caused granite to crack. Kowboy just showed us that most granite doesn’t come with an NSF rating.” They would be wondering if you lied to them about granite performance and sanitation, what else would you be fibbing about? I could make a fortune selling against guys like you.

So please Steve, just substantiate your claim that granite doesn’t stain or is unaffected by heat. Either that or you could tell us the color of my roof (green) or the size of my shoes (8.5).

Joe

Joe, I know better than to bother discussing anything with you. Your agenda is nothing more than an attempt to show your intellectual superiority (an attempt to hide your own feelings of low self worth). I say this in all seriousness and without disrespect… rather than spending your time taking art courses why don’t you spend some time with a psychologist. It would be money better spent. Every post I’ve seen of yours has and underlying message of “see how knowledgeable and great I am”. They are never intended to help any other but yourself.

If your intent was to help with the web site why would you not send a private e-mail? Of course we know why.

Go ahead and respond but I will not visit this thread again. Of course, since your motivation is to show others your vast intellectual superiority, I’m sure you will do them the honor.

Mark Meriaux

My good friend Mark Lauzon cooking on granite slabs a few years ago:

http://www.stoneadvice.com/gallery/Testing-Resined-Slabs

I don’t recommend this type of abuse on granite, but many varieties are quite capable of withstanding high heat as demonstrated in these photos. (Much higher than other manufactured surfacing options).  The term “granite” should not be used as an all-encompassing term for various types of natural stone.  Some varieties are notably more fragile than others, both in fabrication and handling, and (I would assume) thermal expansion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.