Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steve Mehan

We just did a project in which we used a Blanco Quartz undermount sink in a laminate top. We made a ring out of corian in Bisque to match the color of the sink. We then glued the ring to the bottom of the laminate in which we were able to then attach the sink to the ring. Customer very happy.

Gordon Shell

Looks great!

That is using your head, Steve.  Looks good!!

Johnny C

Steve:

Looks real nice, but what was your thinking behind the Corian transition ring between the p/l and the quartz sink?

Joe

Steve Mehan

Posted By Kowboy on 08 Jan 2012 10:13 AM
    Steve:

Looks real nice, but what was your thinking behind the Corian transition ring between the p/l and the quartz sink?

Joe

Joe,
    The first picture shows what the top of a quartz sink rim looks like. They are not designed to be glued to laminate. The inside edge of the sink has a 1/8″ radius,

This picture shows a piece of laminate on the surface of the rim. Looking at the two, I dont see a good way to attach them to each other. You need to be able to bond the two surfaces together and give the lamiante a finished edge. These sinks dont have a machined sanded edge like a solid surface sink or and Edge stainless sink. 
    Think of how a Karan sink is mounted to lamiante, and this is not it.

This picture shows a piece of laminate glued to a piece of corian. In my install I made a ring of corian that was 1″ thick x 3″ wide that I was able to glue to the laminate. Now looking at these two materials it easy to see how they can be attached.
    I used brass inserts in the corian and then applied silicon to the sink rim and attatched them. I then reinforce the sink from inside the sink base so that the weight of the sink is not reliant on the inserts.

Tom M

Which adhesive did you use to bond the ss to the laminate?

Steve Mehan

Posted By Tom M on 09 Jan 2012 07:20 AM
    Which adhesive did you use to bond the ss to the laminate?

Tom,
    On this project we used solid surface adhesive to bond the laminate and corian together. We have also used 3m 5200 marine adhesive which works great, however it takes more effort to clamp the seam nice because the adhesive is thicker and doesnt flow a easy as solid surface adhesive.

Norm Walters

I always used laminate samples for dams when doing a field seam at the overhang so the adhesive didn’t drip on the floor or cabinet, and they would just pop right off when dry.  ???

Steve Mehan

Norm,
    With your ??? You mean the solid surface adhesive popping off the laminate correct.
    The first time I ever gave a consideration to gluing laminate and ss together I tried several different adhesives. I made samples and then tried to seperate them. The best by far was the 3m 5200 and if I were make a top that would flex during transport and install I would use it even though it takes more effort to clamp up. I have found with the solid surface adhesive is it works great for smaller size tops that aren’t going to flex from there own weight during handling.

Norm Walters

Steve, have you ever tried Integra’s composite bonder, it’s made for dissimilar materials.

David Gerard

Steve, did you make the sale? Im just courious how this set of selections (lam and qrtz sink) came to be. When ever we have done the Karran sink with lam it was the customer who brought the challenge to us. Did this play out this way for you or is this somethink your company regularly offers? . I think you did a nice job and I would agree that 5200 is great adhesive.

Tom M

The WilsonArt adhesive that used to be called the 815 (sorry, I forget the new number) works well as a laminate to solid surface bond. The 5200 would work well and I would bet might be better for water, but will be more pliable over time. That could be good or bad.

The one thing to be most careful of is the combo effect of a rigid glue surrounding (or surrounded by) a contact. Rigid and flexible don’t really play well when a risk of high humidity changes can occur. Below grade rooms, nearer to the shore, etc. Anyone who didn’t seal a color core top well would understand this all too well.

Steve Mehan

Norm, When we first started doing undermounts in laminate I dont believe composite bonder was available, and to be honest I have never thought to use it. I think you have brought up possibly a good option to use. I will in the future make up some sample pieces.

David, We had made this customers kitchen countertops in the past. They had bevel edge laminate with a drop in quartz sink. When they came to us again about making new countertops in a different home, again they wanted bevel edge laminate but this time they wanted to know if it was possable to have a undermount sink. Knowing they really liked this one sink in particular because of the lower center partition and knowing that ss could be adheared to laminate and quartz could be attached to ss thats when I made the sugestion to use the quartz undermount sink.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I missed this post. Looks great.

Karran uses a solid surface adhesive to glue their solid surface sinks to the bottom of laminate and the guarantee it will hold.

Has this held up since the install? I assume you would get a call from the homeowner if it fell off.

I have used 5200 to bond sinks under laminate for about 3 years.
     Quartz and stainless both work well with no solid surface rings.
      The process to cut the laminate, spread the adhesive, and clamp the
      sink to keep the laminate flat is exacting.  No failures yet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.