Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mory Ludwick

Brian,

When we purchased the system, we had nothing but troubles due to the video training.  There is absolutely no way the system will work correctly by just watching the video.  We went through several weeks of trying to make things work.  If it wasn’t for our other templating system it would have cost us thousands of dollars.  We then agreed to let them come from Chicago to assist us.  They were here for two days and yes they did teach us alot of tricks and different ways to use the system that are not explained in the video.  They also replaced the black box.  Upon the agreement to come to Omaha, if we were not satisfied with the system, no questions asked, they would refund us our money.  They spent two days with our templaters and out of all fairness, they stood in my office and my statement was let my guys work with it for another week or so and I will call you.  After a short period of time, I decided to call them.  I told them I would return the system.  Remember no questions asked.  Thats when then said, that was not possible.  I guess it all boils down to being a man of your word.  The point I am trying to get to I guess is, there is absolutely no way that a company, without hands on training, can fabricate tops off of the LT55 system, unless you want to make lots of mistakes.  So the 30 day money back guarantee absolutely means nothing.  You cannot possibly make it work in 30 days off of their video training.  I guess this is all about principle.  At the end of the day, I had a long conversation with Jim.  I think some policies are going to be changed.  I think they have learned from this and I know I have learned alot.  I know there are a lot of fabricators out there looking for new systems or to advance where they are at.  Hopefully, this is a lesson they can learn from.  Expenses like this can put a small shop out of business.  Especially if they are not prepared.  After months of training and over 40 experimental templates the system does work and we do trust it.  By the way, the templater that came in from Chicago, if he trained people and taught them what he taught us you could be up and running in no time at all.

Tom M

I have the earlier version. It must be considerably more simple, because I thew CD that came with it described the process pretty well. The only thing I wish it did was explain why i8t was important to do this or that.

The new system, which looks more substantial, maybe quite a but harder to learn as a result.

Brian Stone

Posted By Tom M on 23 Sep 2010 09:15 PM

I have the earlier version. It must be considerably more simple, because I thew CD that came with it described the process pretty well. The only thing I wish it did was explain why i8t was important to do this or that.

The new system, which looks more substantial, maybe quite a but harder to learn as a result.

We have the newer system with the tablet pc and never had any issues learning how to use it. That’s why I’m questioning the reasons for wanting to return the unit…especially after the admittance that they now know how to use it and it works great.

My only problem with the CD that comes with the unit is how boring it is. Maybe your guys fell asleep while watching it. I know I was pretty close to dosing off.

Jeff Vickers

Great cure for insomniacs zzzzzzzzzzzzz 

Dante

I’m using the LT-55 for 5 years already. No issue at all.

I can offer my support for you if you still want.
    Dante
    Trevor Baker

Likewise, we have used the LT for over 5 years (we have two now) and we use them every day. I will agree , however, that there is NO WAY you can get accurate enough templates by following the video, or with the targets that arrive with the system.

Never move the the tripod up and down during a template. Never. We template above the carcasses, and almost entirely use the pin targets. We have made up our own perspex target holders for this purpose.

The LT hates acute angles – again the reason we rely on the pin targets so much – if that laser dot is hitting a target at 90 deg then your templates will be super accurate.

clean up the drawing on site – fillet, extend lines, rotate etc. And then CHECK, MEASURE, CHECK. takes 15-20 mins, but there should be no excuse to leave a site with a poor quality template.

Using a digital system is the only way we can run our business, but don’t believe that the actual template visit will be so much quicker – if done correctly it should still take an hour or two to complete.It’s the savings in time and material that follow this initial process that pays dividends.

And remember, the tolerance required for a granite top with 3/4″ rear splash planted on after is a world away from that required for a Solid surface top with a coved splash and zero tolerance seamless joins.And its that stone market that Laser Products training material is targeted at.

A very simple top that we templated is shown here – this is a template around a pillar and tricky to get the laser close.It went straight in…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcqnK7PGxT8

Len Smith

Nice work, Trevor.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.