Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I heard that Texas is really hot.  How Hot?  Is Austin the same temperature as the rest of the state?

We want to move out of California in the next 10 years and need to find a great location.  Not too much snow and not too hot.  California is taxing me out of the state and I can’t afford to give these loser polititians any more of my money.  We now have 10% state income tax for anyone making more than $42,000 a year.

Where is a great place to live?

Jon Olson

Boston

Lenny E

Jon- Bostons a pretty cool place to live, actually its pretty cold…brrrrrrr!

Andy, South Texas may be too hot for you. No snow, very few freezing nights and Lows tonight will be 55-58, highs today were 78-79 here. Its humid along the the gulf coast, (about 40 miles NW of Houston) and in the summer there are some days in the 90s at 80% humidty. Can you say sawna? (thats sauna with a Texas accent).

GO further North in Texas and you may find the balance  between hot and cold you are seeking. After 4 years in the tropics I kinda like hot. But dont forget Texas has been in a drought for some time now.

Plus people in Texas are pretty nice  from what Ive seen so far.

Lenny E

Oh one more thing Andy- no state tax on personal income in Texas. But the sales tax down here is 8.25%

Iree Mon!, Yeaah Mon dat be right! (sorry- Im listening to some Bob Marley as I type).

Linda Graves

Sales tax here in Orange, CA is 7.75% and will be going up 1% in April (I think that is the date).  LA will be paying almost 10% sales tax, plus the 10% state income tax.  They are doubling our vehicle license fees. 

There is not end in sight. 

Eli Polite

boston is cold but nice i like to visit but would not want to live there… personally i have been thinking about Tennessee great year round climate and you can get real estate at a great price..

Wags

Nevada has no income tax..Arizona, low property taxes, income tax but umm 4 -5 % ? At least we can openly carry weapons … We get hot but no humidity which does make a huge difference, having come from Chicago area. I’ve been all over this great country, and I can’t think of a better place than Az, some equal but not better. Colorado is nice especially if you love the outdoors. Who knows what anywhere in this country will look like in 10 years, or, if we will still be a country, or just part of something “bigger”.

I feel your pain Andy and Linda….sigh…

KCWOOD

Andy…. here is God’s country .. yep Kentucky. the weather is not bad all year. We get below freezing a few times, a snow sometimes, spring temps are good now… 70’s here… the summers are no where like Texas… but then Texas has Lone Star beer to cool themselves off.

Rand McNally named a place 60 miles from here the best retirement place in the country a couple of years ago.  It does get hot here sometimes, but nothing like in Texas, they have the humidity from HELL! Plus Andy… we have chiggers here in amongst the best wild blackberries anywhere!  10 minutes I can be in wilderness with deer and turkey, 10 the other way, 2 lakes for fishing and camping, 10 the other way my favorite bar.

Tennessee has no state income tax… and beautiful countryside… from the blues music in Memphis, to the great Smokey Mts national park.

Taxes are only for those making money …. and your point is…

Linda Graves

Kelsey,

If you think taxes are only for those making money, you have never lived in California.  They add fees to everything.  Of course, they don’t call fees taxes.

You just have to own a car, or buy anything and they get their pint of blood.

It is an amazingly beautiful and diverse state.  If we could drop LA and SF in the ocean, the rest of us just might do pretty well.

Linda

Lenny E

Posted By Linda on 21 Mar 2009 10:10

If we could drop LA and SF in the ocean, the rest of us just might do pretty well.

Linda

Linda,

I feel your pain. On the bright side (being a glass is half full kinda guy) All it takes is one really big earthquake, for LA and SF to drop into the ocean.

Anybody heard of Hawaii .mo betta then all the lower 48 states . Only thing it’s really far from the rest of you. 70 to 80 deg all year around  5 minutes away Pacific ocean, 5 minutes the other way i’m deep in the mountains. 

Sorry for living in the real gods country.

Darren

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

With no state income tax, where does the state bring in money. Are the property taxes high, or is it the sales tax?

I need to go on a FabNet road trip and visit all these shops across the country.  Determine the best place to move from the most taxed state in the union.

Lenny E

Hi Andy,

If ya go on a roadtrip you and yours are welcome to stay at Casa Lenny while in Texas. The Guestroom isnt  fancy, but The rates are excellent (free) when you factor in the Fabnet and  all around good guy discounts.

KCWOOD

Lenny… be sure to take Andy to “The Duck”… the little british pub on hwy 146 in Kemah.  If you have never been, that would be a great Saturday road trip for you before he gets there…. 
    BTW… if you are ever there…  just ask around if anyone has a brother in Ky…  you might meet up with my sister.  She can teach you the “Texas” drinking customs.. I have told her about your chinese drinking customs class!!

Lenny E

Thanks Kelsey,

You had mentioned the “Duck” previously. I havent made it there yet, but certainly will. I will ask around to see if we can take your sisters “Texas Drinking Customs ” Class. I assume class rules are the same as my Oriental Drinking Customs Class…”Students provide class materials for themselves and the instructors”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.