Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

What do you do with all of your scrap?

I have a mountain growing…. any advice??

Jon Olson
    Hello Michelle. This guy might buy them.

P.S. Welcome to the Fab Net

Brian Stone

We keep pieces that are larger than 25×72 to save and use for vanities. Even that is turning into a nightmare to keep track of though. I just checked and right now we have 272 pieces of remnant in stock. If we stacked all of those we would have about a 29′ tower.

Right now material that is smaller than that goes into the dumpster and to the landfill. I have a guy coming in this week that should be taking all of our future granite waste. He’s going to grind it up and use it for gravel.

I have heard of other companies that have stone presses and they make pavers and sell them to landscaping companies. That usually involves buying a fairly expensive piece of machinery like the GranQuartz Stone Cycler though. I have never asked for a bid but I believe they are in the range of $30-$35k.

I don’t like to advertise other forums but if you ask the same question on stoneadvice.com you will get a ton of answers.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We save the usable slabs and throw the rest away. We make sure to throw the material away as we go so we don’t end up with giant pile later on down the road.

Brian Stone

Andy –
    Have you looked into getting anyone to recycle the “junk” scrap? I still need to meet with the recycling center but he said on the phone that he will take it for free. To me that’s way better than paying someone to throw it in a landfill.

Adam Nelson

We just got a stone cycler from granquartz. Yes it carries a hefty price tag at 30k but we were throwing away close to 3000 lbs of granite per week. We also bought a rock tumbler. We run the scrap through the stone cycler and then take the scraps and throw them through the rock tumbler. In 3 weeks, i have only thrown away about 200 lbs. I actually called the trash service today and told them that i only need a 3 yd dumpster as opposed to an 8 yd dumpster. Just this alone will save me 800 per month. A lot of people don’t have 40k to throw at thier waste issue but it made sense for my company.

It also does not hurt that 2 of my high school friends own a couple of sizable landscaping companies. They buy all of the pavers and gravel that is a product of this process. Just my two cents….

Jon Olson
    Adam now that’s impressive!! I applaud you for your approach. As they say You need to spend money to make money.
    Brian Stone

How much are you getting for the pavers and gravel?

Tom M

That is very impressive.
    Good thinking as well.

Adam Nelson

I am getting about __ for the pavers a square foot. I am doing the 4×8 pavers so 4.5 pavers per square foot. I am getting about ___ a square foot for diamond shaped b/s. The gravel is something that i don’t really have nailed down pricewise as of yet. At this point I am getting about _____per one ton truck load. I am trying to work with one of my friends to get a better pricing method for the gravel. For some reason, he is wanting a discount for helping. I guess that is what friends are for!

Like i said, this was not an easy decision to make this purchase but in 3 weeks I have billed a lot more for this material than throwing it away was getting me. I just hope that I don’t run out of scrap!

Sorry for the edit, we can’t discuss pricing on the FabNet. It is an Federal Anti-Trust thing. If you live in non-competing areas, I think you can discuss it in private without a problem.

Brian Stone

Wow, that’s a lot of money for the pavers. I was assuming that we would only get about ___ of that.

___/sf makes that stone press seem like a no-brainer.

Sorry for the edit, we can’t discuss pricing on the FabNet. It is an Federal Anti-Trust thing. If you live in non-competing areas, I think you can discuss it in private without a problem.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

This seems to make sense if you have the scrap. Maybe you could collect scrap from nearby companies to turn into products.

Don’t forget the “GREEN” marketing perspective. People love GREEN these days.

Wilson Chen

Take good use of scraps ,it benifits both buyers and sellers .

For your usable remnants, check out my brand new website: remnantROCKS.com

-JOHN

Hello Brian,

I know this post is pretty old but I found it while searching for a Stone Cycler.  As far as your usable 25×72 pieces you could use my website, remnantROCKS.com to sort and sell these pieces.

It’s brand new so it looks a little sparce…let me know what you think.

-JOHN

john@remnantROCKS.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.