Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Wags

Dwight, look at it this way. Would you want YOUR customers to be able to call up your suppliers and get YOUR cost on materials? They are only protecting all the fabricators by not sharing confidential information with non-fabricators. I’m sure it’s frustrating, but, in the long run it’s good for everyone.

Are you looking to add solid surface to your existing contracting business? If your only going to do a job once in a while, it may not be worth the investment in training, tooling etc. Like most mature industries, it’s not the cash cow it once was. When Corian was new ( 70’s) it was the “hot thing” and you could get the $ you needed…as the industry grew and additional products were added, along with new products ie granite, quartz, concrete etc. solid surface was no longer the “hot thing” and profits dropped.

You can make a living but, your not going to get rich, add the investment in time to train, learning curve, and tooling needed it may or may not make sense to “do it yourself”. Sometimes your better off doing what you do really well, and are set up to do, and partner with someone to do the things you can’t do in volumes that make sense.

Hope this make some sense to you.

Dwight

Posted By Kevin Cole on 07 Jan 2014 09:39 AM

Hi Dwight – if you drop me an email, I can help you gather some information on pricing and training. My email address is kevin@isfanow.org.

Best,

Kevin

sent the email Kevin , thanks in advance

Dwight

Posted By Wags on 07 Jan 2014 11:13 AM

Dwight, look at it this way. Would you want YOUR customers to be able to call up your suppliers and get YOUR cost on materials? They are only protecting all the fabricators by not sharing confidential information with non-fabricators. I’m sure it’s frustrating, but, in the long run it’s good for everyone.

Are you looking to add solid surface to your existing contracting business? If your only going to do a job once in a while, it may not be worth the investment in training, tooling etc. Like most mature industries, it’s not the cash cow it once was. When Corian was new ( 70’s) it was the “hot thing” and you could get the $ you needed…as the industry grew and additional products were added, along with new products ie granite, quartz, concrete etc. solid surface was no longer the “hot thing” and profits dropped.

You can make a living but, your not going to get rich, add the investment in time to train, learning curve, and tooling needed it may or may not make sense to “do it yourself”. Sometimes your better off doing what you do really well, and are set up to do, and partner with someone to do the things you can’t do in volumes that make sense.

Hope this make some sense to you.

Not looking to get rich by any means,, I currently build cabinets,, been doing it for years,, I have had some unpleasant experiences with countertop installers in my area . that started me looking into this part of the business as well,, if I do the cabinets why not the countertops.

I already have all the tools,, I have already built countertops,, I was just looking for raw material costs to see if this is an investment worth pursuing. if that makes sense.

I realize I can buy materials from websites like solidsurface.com,, as any business owner you look for the actual supplier cost rather than marked up middleman.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.