Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dwight

Hello ,, I am new to forum,, I am looking to see if anyone knows where I can get some training.

Dwight

quick update,, I contacted corian and was blown away by the requirements for training.  Basically Corian wont help in any way unless you agree to give them all you financials and agree to start a business exclusively with their product, basically a franchisee for their product, Jackie Talton said ” We do offer training , but we will not offer training until we have a contract agreement signed for franchise”

I advised the rep I was speaking to that I once I do get some good training ,, I will avoid their company and products  for life..

The REPS at LivingStone actually helped and answered questions I had, I was really surprised after dealing with Corian,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I live in Oklahoma,, anyone know of  training please let me know. As of now I will research the info Livingstone gave me.

thanks.

Lenny E

Howdy Dwight,

ISFA does training in Orem UT. They have 2 courses- Level 1, and level 2 which is repairs. See HERE  They also do training in quartz in a separate course.

It’s a good class.

I think Tom Penske still does training up in Plato MN too.  See HERE 

I have never taken that class so I really don’t know much about it.

Don’t hold me to this and inquire, but I believe Avonite,, Livingstone, Meganite, Staron etc., accepts training from ISFA and/or Penske as certification, or at least they used to.

I hope this helps. Best wishes on finding the training you seek and welcome to Fabnet.

David Gerard

Good leads Lenny. I ended up taking training from avonitesurfaces. I don’t know if they still train but penske was my next option.
    Corian………your singing my song. Great material but..
    Good luck!

Lenny E

Posted By David Gerard on 03 Jan 2014 08:47 PM

Good leads Lenny. I ended up taking training from avonitesurfaces. I don’t know if they still train but penske was my next option.
    Corian………your singing my song. Great material but..
    Good luck!

David,

IMO Livingstone kicks Corians Butt! IMHO its flatter, it’s better and it’s cheaper and as an added bonus you don’t have to deal with those DuPont..A holes. What do you expect from a company that got its start back in the day making gunpowder and selling it to both sides in ever war that  they could? 
    Those guys are real sleazy, don’t even get me started.
    You should see some of the acrylic I’m churning out in China.  It’s great stuff.
    I’m hanging with Dwight and you on this issue. 
    As we say in Texas, F them and the horse they rode in on!
    Tom M

I can’t speak for DuPont now, but back in the day, they only wanted the financials showing you were a registered business with the state, had a base of operations that was not a garage or etc., and had sound enough resources for paying your bills. I really can’t blame them if that is all.

I don’t agree with it, but I understand it. I am a free market guy. If you can work the product and can pay your bills, I don’t see the hassle, EXCEPT for the warranty. That thing is like the gummint’s control over health care. It gives them all kinds of reasons to allow this or not allow that.

Agreeing to purchase only their product would be a deal breaker for me, unless I got pricing that beat all the competition, they guaranteed that for the duration, and they helped out financially as if I were a franchise. That’s just about what they want me to be anyway under those conditions. Since their advertising is nothing like it used to be, I would pass on that.

If you go with other brands, you will likely be able to negotiate with DuPont in the future anyway. Good luck.

David Gerard

My big corian beef is mostly trying to get training in the past.
    They would hold a training seminar locally and make me dance outside the fence.
    I never understood why the rep would conduct a training seminar in the shop of compeditors?
    Luckily a west coast supplier recognizes my training credentials and love to sell to me.
    Too bad for the regional Rep I guess. I just don’t like having my feet singed.
    I’m just glad I can offer it.

Yo oklahoma dude ..look go to Solid surface .com or someother way to get a small piece of Coiran then go on you tube and figure out how to work with it…then go to the other classes ..once you see Avonite for your illuminated solid surface and living stone for acrylic stuff…you’ll be good to go…Borian is really only seeling more than likely because people dont know the Solid Surface is a material…they think Borian is a material…they have to do stuff like that becuase they know the dam is busting through and the staff only has so many fingers to plug the holes

The only thing I love having to do with Corian is that my friend Jon Olsen is employed to them…also you can buy it commercial and there is no warranty..plus quick go to Livingstone and build something in your showroom or you sales kit with livingstone and Avonite…dont mention Corian or your customers will remember how ghetto it is to have that black speckled corian in your house that scratches white
    They treated me like a wet food stamp before and time and time again…(if you were ever poor before, you know how that feels when you have a wet food stamp and wanna buy some peanut butter..LOL…thats Corian…and call it Borian…the material that makes you yawn!!!
    Tom M

Jon is my rep for Corian, and he gets me whatever I need of him pretty darn fast. That’s a plus to be sure.

Wags

DuPont has always been a pain to work with. Back in the 80’s they were pulling the same game. Had to sell wholesale only, buy in half truck quantities, could only carry their product etc. I laughed, and sold other products. Guess they still think they have something unique, must be nice to live in that bubble. Even specified material is, in many cases, easy to switch to a different brand. Funny thing is, a year or two later they came back and said they would “allow” me to buy a kitchen at time…told em the same thing, I didn’t need you last year and sure as heck don’t need you now.

Too many options to sell your soul to anyone.

Lenny E

^^^^^What Wags said! +1

Wags is a legend in the Industry, like Tom M, Green Gene , and the up and coming legend David Gerard.

There is an old saying in the decorative surfacing industry…

“It’s a small exclusive club. The company name on the biz card may change, but the faces remain the same!”

Oh BTW, please give a shout out to Andy (company name Olive Mill) also a legend in the industry.

His tireless efforts have created this miracle we call “Fabnet” where we can come together and learn from each other!

It just doesn’t get any better than that.

David Gerard

I just had to toast all you fine fabnetters after that fine commercial Lenny.
    Cheers all!

Tom M

See? I asked Jon about samples for the new sink colors and he showed up yesterday to get them to me.

I saw Jon and you guys didn’t. Nya, nya, nya, nya, nya – nyaaaaa.

Dwight

thanks for all the good info guys..  

my main objective was to get a price list just to see what kind of business I was getting  into ,, being in the construction business for 15 years , I like to know my cost before going all in on a new venture,,

I have called 5 solid surface companies to get sample pricing on raw materials and all have basically shut the door,,

Even the livingstone rep slammed door,,

Livingston Rep:  “OH I thought you were already a fabricator”

ME: “I AM, just not countertops, but that is why I am calling, I would like to fab countertops”

Livingstone Rep: “Well go to school and get certified and we will help you.”

ME:  “I would like to get more info on raw material pricing before I make a decision on full investment.”

Livingstone Rep: “Sorry can’t help until we have proff you went to one of these 2 classes, then he disconnected line”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is it collusion between industry and these 2 training facilities, dunno,, but I can see them wanting trained paople to install the product to make it look good, but I am just asking these people for pricing,, I am not asking for them to sell it to me.

FRUSTRATING

Kevin Cole

Hi Dwight – if you drop me an email, I can help you gather some information on pricing and training. My email address is kevin@isfanow.org.

Best,

Kevin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.