Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I just did a job with EcoTop and it says to use stainless wood screws.  So I predrill the exact size hole and drive in the screww.  They all break off.  This material is like paper rock.

Anyone have any luck using screws with this material?  If so, can you give me some help?

Jon Olson
    Where the screws made in China? I haven’t tried Eco Top But I feel stainless screws are junk. We use black screws here.  What size screw did you use? Try at least a number 8. Did you use a tapered bit?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I didn’t try the tapered bit, but that is a good idea. I was using a number 8 and that didn’t help at all. This material is very dense. You got a part number to those screws your using?

Jon Olson

Sure wish I can still get some Eco top to work with…Yup Andy I still didnt get samples….Oh well I guess it wasnt meant to be…glad i didnt sell a job…Id hafta drive to california and buy it off ya…

Eco top..bah hunmbug  terrible sales force…i think they should call it it EGO-TOP..they need to come off their high horse and send the fabricators one set of free samples….not sell them to us

oh yeah they did..I just cant seem to get them and been on the list for years..Andy you even cosigned the request for me and they dropped the ball

If I am going to buy samples I’ll buy them off you Andy…send me a sample please…I might not even want this stuff after I test it…o

I’ll pay for the sample…just wont pay the MFG

David Gerard

Hey Gene, that top bid I was working on feel through,  The price was good they said but the customer being from the lower 48 had to pull back on some elements to thier new place due to $$.   I got jerked around by the dist on shipping but the same shipper stepped up and gave me a very good price,  that stuff is heavy!   There may still be a chance,  w’ell see.   Good to know the screw problem in advance.  I use alot of stainless screws in boat work and they all suck,  for ext fastening I use silicon bronze with a square drive bit$$$$$$$$
    James Town Supply

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The edge fell off because I didn’t use screws. Only two part adhesive was used and the edge stayed on for about two months and then the whole thing fell off.

Had to go back and use a different epoxy and screws. Worked fine but I would not recommend doing any paper product without mechanical fasteners. At least not until they come up with a perfect adhesive. Use draw bolts on the seams as well.

Tom M

Andy, you can use a pan head phillips machine screw. Pre drill a pilot hole so the wire fits, but not the thread. The beauty of this is the threads won’t continuously taper. Once they reach the right width they stay.

While highly scientific and technical in nature, this video shows the folly of using black drywall screws for anything other than drywall.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The only problem with the pan head is that it will be exposed on the bottom of the edge. I tried drilling and screwing, but the screws would just break off. I never did get the right screw to be strong enough so the head would not snap.

Joe, I was not too concerned with shear strength although seeing that video, will make me think twice before using them in the future.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.