Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Steve Mehan

Here are a few shop pics of a butcher block we did with a cove backsplash.
    I have customers ask all the time if it can be done. When I say yes they just about all go for it.

Brian Stone

It looks like good craftsmanship but I just don’t like the look of butcherblock.

I think the coved backsplash reminds me even more of all of the nasty laminate butcher block out there.

Wayne

We do butcherblock.
    We do coves.
    We’ve never put 2&2 together.
    Thanks Steve for the idea!

Brian Stone

Why did you use solid pieces for the backsplashes instead of doing “butcherblock” on that section too?

Steve Mehan

Thanks guys,

We do a fair amount of them. Mostly maple & oak. The one pictured had a drop in sink but usually we do undermounts.
    A lot of our customers do center islands in the butcher block.
    One job I did I no sooner put in the island in and the home owner took out the bread and made a sandwich and yes the knife came out as well. Hey thats what it’s ment for.

Steve Mehan

Posted By Brian_Stone on 21 May 2009 11:56 AM
    Why did you use solid pieces for the backsplashes instead of doing “butcherblock” on that section too?

I’ve done it both ways, but most people said they would prefer the solid board.

Steve Mehan

Center island with undermount

Jon Olson
    Steve nice work. A couple of questions

1-How do you handle warping problems? Isn’t there a suggestion way to store butcher block?

2-How do you install BB? I’ve been told that if you screw the top down like a laminate top the wood will crack.

Steve Mehan

Jon,

On large pieces like this island, I will rout a channel in the bottom and insert a 1″ piece of square box steel. I will drill oversized holes in the steel for screws to allow for expansion and contraction, and then place a few screws in the bottom of the BB. I always use this when I have overhangs. 

When I install them I will again drill an oversized hole in the corner blocks for the screws. Again I do not tighten them, I leave a little play for expansion and contraction. It doesnt take many screws to keep it in place.

If both sides are not sealed they will warp. But once they are sealed there fine.
    I do three different finishes. Minerial Oil, Tung Oil, or Urethane. Some finishes are better suited then others depending on what the customers use will be.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Fancy top. Do you construct the cove on wood like you do on solid surface? Seem this would be a nice, profitable upgrade.

Steve Mehan

Maple BB with Tung Oil Finish

Very nice work Steve.  How do you make certain that water will not become an issue over time at the seam?

Johnny C

Steve Mehan

Johnny,

With this seam I have used Titebond 3 and have done many over the years with no problems with water. This top is finished with 6 coats of waterlox tung oil and buffed with a grey scotchbrite, the end grain is also sealed well with 6 coats. I spline the seam and use draw bolts below.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Do you sand the seam like you would with solid surface? The cove on the wood is a really cool idea.

Steve Mehan

Andy,
    Yes I do block sand it with 80 grit to give the glue a little better adhesion and the spline which fits tight  keeps the two pieces flat. With the draw bolts tightend up they act as a permenent clamp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.