Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

Anyone have any experience with copper sheet metal on counters?

My customer wants to try this, I brought out the Avonite copper series and suggested we use it for edging to compliment the top surface, I thought to slightly arch the top an extend the height a fizzy fuzz as a “no drip” edge.      As for a sink I’m thinking a copper farm sink with a section of the Avonite about 5′ long around the sink area, better than copper turning green in time .  This is a very clean couple with no kids so I imagine they will take care of such a …..vunerable surface.  Thought?   Thanks,  DG

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Let me get this straight. You are doing a copper countertop that is incorporated into an Avonite Copper Series edge?

If this is the case, you may need to do something along the leading edge of the counter. Cooper series is not real strong and if you bring the cooper over the Avonite, it will end up being a sharp edge.

What are you going to do where the Avonite meets the copper?

sounds like fun David…are you putting the copper on plywood…use sandi ply so if you distress it..the sandi ply underneath is softer…beat it with a chain in all directions looks cool and will hide scratches…then the avonite is gonna be like a bar rail that the copper laminated to the wood slots right into it…is that how your doing it???
    if you roundover the wood, you can also beat it to shape…but then the avonite might not make it into the project

sounds awesome…take pictures..

David Gerard

Andy,  I was thinking to extend the copper sheet out about an 1/8 then let it in to the ss edging into a slot.  This would offer a mechanical connection at the edge rather than just glue and the need for any fasteners.   The SS would extend upward past the top surface slightly to offer the no drip.   I thought to do it that way rather than try and create a flush surface with materials that move with temp.

Gene, this gent loves the Avonite material.  I have skinned doors with copper in the past so I am optimistic that it will work, as for the distress,  in time normal use will take care of that.  This is going into a log place so the splash will be Avonite and get the same slot idea to secure the back edge, then the very top of the splash will get a large scribe to edge to address the taper of the logs.      

Finishing log places are a pain,  one has to allow for radical movement and settling of the logs.  Luckily these logs are well seasoned and the structure has been built at the log site prior to delivery.  Should be very interesting  in any case.    Any recomendations on glue type ect.  ?

David Gerard

I remembered I took a pic of the doors.  I used construcion adhesive in the can form on these. So far so good with adhesion.  These are subjected to the salty marine environment as well as extreme temps and sun light.   The wood is  reclaimed fir of an old barge deck and the door cores are solid core ext flat doors that were const doors.  The astrical is copper pipe split and fastened to fir.

Dats what Im talking about…whoah David…I like that…is that sheet metal copper of chemetal/ thats looks great  ..

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

David,

I like that idea alot.  That way it will keep the copper locked in place.  Is the edge going to be 1″ thick and an 1 1/2″ tall?

David Gerard

Andy,  yupper

Gene,  that is 18 ga. sheet copper, it is textured like tree bark.  I handled it with white cotten gloves the whole time of construction to prevent finger prints then everyone came by an touched it so I wiped it down with salt water to speed up the patina proccess.

Wags

Chemmetal is not a product you want to use outdoors. Most of their product is aluminum made to look like other materials. They do have some solid metals but most are made for verticle surfaces only. David you do some really unique installations, ^5, great job.

Wags

Chemmetal is not a product you want to use outdoors. Most of their product is aluminum made to look like other materials. They do have some solid metals but most are made for verticle surfaces only. David you do some really unique installations, ^5, great job.

Eli Polite

sounds like a nice project i have seen the stainless steel ones so i guess it is not that far off to do copper

Lenny E

Excellent Work David! Pure Magic!

We may have to call you David “Copper “Field”  , in light of your recent accomplishments. All joking and kidding aside, that was great work!

Kudos

Lenny

David Gerard

cough…cough…snort….snort!      A big slug of Bridge Port IPA  just shot out of my nose!      

Thanks Lenny,  you berry funny man too!!!

Posted By David G. on 28 Jan 2009 01:44 AM
    cough…cough…snort….snort!      A big slug of Bridge Port IPA  just shot out of my nose!      

Thanks Lenny,  you berry funny man too!!!

David:

At the risk of more liquid out your nose, perhaps this can help with your copper countertop caper.

Kowboy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.