Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    oscar e.

I am having a hard time finding an adhesive to hold down the spoil board to the aluminum grid on the table. Does anybody have any recommendations on what to use, I need something strong enough to hold down the boards but when I am ready to change them out and not really difficult to remove and clean up. Any information will help…Thanks…Also if anybody has any tips on how to increase suction on the table that would be great, were using low density MDF and we edge band all outside corners to seal the edges, once again any ideas will help…Thanks again.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We screw out MDF down to the table. Then we make a perimeter cut in the MDF to define the outside edges for maximum cut size.

Couple suggestions:
    1. Cut a diagonal pattern in the back of the MDF to get the suction evenly distributed.
    2. Plane the front and back of the MDF to remove the top layer. Only remove about .01 .
    3. Add a gasket material around the bottom perimeter of the MDF. Either cut a daddo in about 1/4″ from the finished edge and insert a spongy gasket. Go to http://www.allstaradhesives.com They carry what you need.

This should increase your suction a lot. You shouldn’t be able to move even a small two foot square of material.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Forgot to mention, screw the MDF to the aluminum table. Drill and tap the aluminum, countersink the screw in the MDF and use plastic screw to hold it down.

oscar e.

Thank you. No double sided adhesive tape at all.  How deep should I make the grooves for the diagonal pattern and how far should I space them out.

oscar e.

One more question, Right now were using low density MDF, What type of Density is the best to use, low, medium, High?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The more porous the material the better is sucks down, IF, the entire spoilboard if covered. Once you have some of it exposed, you loose some suction.

We just use MDF and it seems to work just fine. I think the last time I bought 3/4″ but 1″ would last longer if you don’t calibrate the surface each day. Humidity is going to make the MDF thicker so you end up cutting into the board just a little.

I would make the diagonal pattern every 4″ or so. Our pattern is actually cut into the table so I don’t have to cut the board. In your case it will probably help. Just cut it about and 18″ – 1/4″ deep.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The more porous the material the better is sucks down, IF, the entire spoilboard if covered. Once you have some of it exposed, you loose some suction.

We just use MDF and it seems to work just fine. I think the last time I bought 3/4″ but 1″ would last longer if you don’t calibrate the surface each day. Humidity is going to make the MDF thicker so you end up cutting into the board just a little.

I would make the diagonal pattern every 4″ or so. Our pattern is actually cut into the table so I don’t have to cut the board. In your case it will probably help. Just cut it about and 18″ – 1/4″ deep.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Double sided tap may work, but I doubt it will stick to the MDF for a long period of time.

You could try little dabs of silicone. Weight it down and then replane the surface to make it perfectly flat with your machine.

oscar e.

Thanks for the Advice, I will give it a try.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Let us know how it works out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.