Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ChipN

We recently had a problem with Caesarstone pinching the saw blade so tight it lifted the material off the table and moved the material across the table.  The material broke after trying to remove the blade.  The cut where it pinched the blade was at the end of a 64 1/2″ cut.  Caesarstone refused to warranty the material.  Has anyone else had a problem with Quartz binding a saw blade?  It was cut at medium speed and plenty of water.  I have heard of others having problems with warping of the material.  We replaced the material with Staron in a similiar color and completed the job with the same layout and cutout with no problems.  Any feedback is appreciated!

Chip……
    This happens with all quartz products to some extent. Some are more prone then others.

My best guess (and other fabbers opinion also) is that it is from internal stress in the quartz. Why we don’t know, but I’m venturing a guess that they tried to “cook” it too quick.

How was the cut being made? Was it a plunge in the middle trying to work to the outside of the slab? This is usually a sure fire way to get it to bind. What we have found that helps is to make your two trim cuts on the length and width first. Try not to do any cuts from inside to the outside.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Does anyone know if this type of issue is covered under warranty?

I would suspect that it would be considered defective material. If you can’t cut it, how you supposed to be able to fabricate it?

Posted By Andy Graves on 06 Jan 2012 09:40 AM
    Does anyone know if this type of issue is covered under warranty?

I would suspect that it would be considered defective material. If you can’t cut it, how you supposed to be able to fabricate it?

Andy:

Some guys get immediate replacement from their suppliers and other suppliers blow them off. Everyone recommends taking a picture of the failure immediately. If I didn’t get immediate color-matched replacement, it would be the last slab of that brand I ever bought.

Some say cut from out to in, others from in to out. I’d jam shims in the saw kerf as you cut.

Joe

Lenny E

Well,

Quartz stuff is the latest thing since sliced bread. Having been in many quartz plants in the middle east, China and Nam, they dont cook it, it’s an ambient cure.

I know a guy that sold a lot of EU Breton quartz as floor tile in big hotels and condo’s in Hong Kong,and  it all warped up after time.

Quartz is touted as the new ‘kevlar” surfacing. But it has it’s limits like all surfacing, be it staining granite, not too heat resistant SS, or cut thru the overlay and youre dead..laminate.

Just sayin..

Steve Mehan

Lenny, Can we expect to maybe see some slabs start to lift after time on installs?

Lenny E

Hi Steve,

Geez, I hope not. Personally I like quartz. Its a great product, like SS and laminate. It has good heat resistance. But it has its limits, like all products.

They market it like its bullet proof Kevlar. I think Andy or someone did a post on here about quartz staining with a sharpie a while back.

Its like any product, it has its good points and bad points.

BTW I never actually saw the problem in HK, it could have been an uneven substrate, it could have been sunlight thru glass heating it up unevenly. Who knows. It was hearsay, but from the pain on the guys face, I believed it.

ChipN

I just got a notice that Caesarstone is having half slabs for sale. Just wondering if this is a way to correct their warping problem. Just an interesting way to do business if the slab has been on a A-frame too long and warped. Anybody got a comment?

Posted By ChipN on 28 Jan 2012 09:56 PM

I just got a notice that Caesarstone is having half slabs for sale. Just wondering if this is a way to correct their warping problem. Just an interesting way to do business if the slab has been on a A-frame too long and warped. Anybody got a comment?

They (and a few others) are going to half slabs to help increase sales.  I’ve had more then 1 job lost b/c it’s a slab plus very little and bidding it at 2 slabs throws my number way out of the budget window.  Plus half slabs (27″ usually) helps get vanity jobs more in budget also.

Interesting thought on the warping and “reclaiming” possibly damaged slabs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.