Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Chad Pitcher

We have been getting some interest in butcher block and done a few our selves but am looking for a out source for some of the big tops. We are being ask for 4″ end grain and one wanted a to that was 4′ x 14′ black walnut.
    Anyone have good source would really app.

Eli Polite

in our area fesedenhall supplies bally’s block butcher block you could juts make it your self

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Try these guys:

The Craft-Art company
    1209 Logan Circle
    Atlanta, GA 30318

Phone:  (404) 352-5625
    FAX: (404) 352-0411
    Email: info@craft-art.com

Visit Web Site: http://www.craft-art.com

David Gerard

Cap,   we do lots of maple wood tops.  Make sure to relief the back side with some kerf cuts to reduce warping.    For a 4′ top we usualy join 2   25.5 inchers.

also add some support on overhangs as these types of tops will sag in no time.

once all completed treat the top with  “daleys” wood top sealer and give the jar to the customer.

I’m sure you know all this,  just offering some help.   

We usualy buy the blanks from our local supplier,  hassle free for us since it all comes from an outside supplier and I don’r have to line up shipping or receiving.

are you supposed to oil these tops or is that butcher block cutting boards? if so what do you use?

David Gerard

Posted By lilly on 03 Mar 2009 12:29 PM
    are you supposed to oil these tops or is that butcher block cutting boards? if so what do you use?

Lilly,  I am not aware of specific oil only the Daleys product.  We use to use digestible mineral oil (drug stores have it)  but it left a residue.    We did an entire kitchen for a baker,  she said one has to becareful not to oil tops since  food type oils will render over time and  harbor bacteria.  As a baker she used lots of shortning,  she simply scraped the surface area she used the most and re treated it with the Daleys.   There was lots of direct food contact on these tops.     We also just did a floating bar/island with a wood top.  I go to this place often to sample thier latest brew recipies,  they have not been using the sealer I gave them and…….lets just say red wine makes for  a lovley “patina”

Eli Polite

this is a butcher block to i built for my own home out of reclaimed oak i got from a 110 year old wall i tore out of my house

Steve Mehan

Cap,

I thick you may be better makeing it in a couple pieces. A top that size will be around 850 lbs.

Brian Stone

We have ordered tops from Quinique in the past. I didn’t get to see the last one but apparently it was an absolutely beautiful black walnut.

Click here for a link to their website

Brian Stone

ahh crap…I just noticed the date on the original post…

David Gerard

Eli,   nice table.  I’d love to see what the leg/support  design looks like.
      Scoring old lumber is rare up here,  great use of materials.

My wife is wanting a new table,  3 guitars to finish first

Eli Polite

the base is just a simple cabinet for now. when i re do the kitchen i will do something more for the base

David Gerard

These  local birch wood lav tops are in the same house as the concrete tops .   In my opinion these tops would have been better served to have had  a couple coats of epoxy then 2 coats of satin poly.   Instead they used some sort of oil.  As you can see, hidious stains.     We are to replace the entire set up with a  fir custom cabinet and “copper canyon” top.   The bowl is localy made,  I wanted to undermount it in the new top.   The customer has them throughout the house and wanted something else.

Craft art is a great company to work with. 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.